This is a continuation to my first post on Gamification with Blackboard Learn.
- Task: A task is the individual requirement that the student must complete.
- Rule: A rule contains all the tasks that a student must complete before that rule is marked as complete.
- Badge: A badge will be awarded when one of the rules is marked as complete.
The Achievements Tool
A key part of gamification is the progress bar and badges. The Achievements tool gives instructors an easy way to create badges that can be awarded automatically after a student completes certain tasks within Blackboard. Tasks for badges include:
- Membership: This allows you to manually select individual students and/or groups. For example, this rule can be used if only a certain group of students “qualify” for this badge.
- Grade/Attempt: This option will mark the task as complete based on an activity’s score or a student’s XP total. An option is available to mark the task as complete if the score falls between x and y or if the score is greater than, less than or equal to a value you specify.
- Review Status: This option will mark the task as complete when the student clicks the “Mark as Reviewed” button.
NOTE: If multiple tasks are all required before a badge is awarded use one rule. If a student must complete one or another task for the badge to be awarded create a rule for each task.
From the My Achievements page students will be able to view a progress bar for each badge along with a list of completed and in-progress tasks.
When badges are awarded students will have the option to publish their badge to their Mozilla Open Badges Backpack. When a Course Completion badge is used a certificate will also be generated for each student.